Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Binding the quilt

Now that I've completed all the basic outline stitching, it's time to draw the scalloped edge on it and sew on the binding.  I've probably devised the most complicated method, ever know to man, for getting the scallops right.  I'm sure there's a better way, but this is the way I'm going to do it.

I drew a large circle that's centered 12" away from the center square, every 12 inches along the edge and overlaps every 12" along a line that's 18" from the square.  I know, I can't follow me either.  Luckily, I drew it all on paper.  I knew those drafting classes, for an engineering degree I never completed, would someday come in handy.
I want to sew the binding on, but not cut the excess off, yet.  I think it will stabilize the edge and make it easier to put in the hoop to quilt all the way to the edge.  After the binding's on, I think there's enough quilting completed to take the basting threads out.  I get a finger caught on one at least once every time I turn the hoop around.
I made a lot of binding and can barely stand the wait to see it at the edge.

It wasn't as hard to draw the scallop as I feared it would be.  Sewing the binding on was as easy as following my pencil line.  When it's time to cut off the excess and hand sew the binding to the other side, it will be the perfect last step.
Now, I'm considering putting one line of echo quilting around the vines and flowers before I begin the more decorative quilting.  I want feathered fans in the big triangles, a couple spiderwebs, some butterflies, maybe a bird or two, decorate the grandmothers fans and flowers in the white space of the fans.

1 comment:

  1. I've never done a scalloped edge but I love the look of it. The quilting your planning sounds gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete