Thursday, January 6, 2011

Rachel's Quilt


Long ago, I started a quilt for my oldest daughter.  We designed a beautiful quilt with old-fashioned colors, part of it pieced and a lot of floral applique using the pattern on the left.  It moved along very well, there was steady progress, the piecing was all done and I moved on to the applique.
All the biggest parts of the sewing were getting done, the ribbons, fan, vines and leaves.  I finished one flower, out of 80, and it hit me......... what was I thinking?  This one flower had fourteen separate pieces of fabric.  How was I ever going to finish it?
I decided to take a break and put it away for awhile.  Awhile, became fourteen, fifteen years.
This last fall, I decided it was time to bite the bullet and get it back out.  I'd taken it out many times over the years to admire it, this time I needed to sew!
Close up of the center flower
Before Christmas sewing took my time, I managed to get quite a lot done.  I now have thirty-two flowers left to sew!  Don't even get me started on how much hand-quilting this is going to need.
Some flowers waiting to be sewn
The full quilt

Top Right

Bottom right

Top left

Bottom left

Close up ribbons and flowers

Close up ribbon and flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment